Faber House is a 10-storey office building. It is located at 230, Orchard Road, 238854 in District 09. Faber House was refurbished extensively in 2006. It is close to Somerset MRT Station (NS23), Orchard MRT Station (NS22) and Dhoby Ghaut MRT Station (NS24/NE6/CC1). It is near to several bus stops located at Midpoint Orchard – 09038, opposite Meritus Mandarin – 09037 and at Somerset Station – 08121. 

5 mins walk to Somerset Station
Connectivity to major expressways
Shopping belt around the around
Full height windows
At least 10 hotels around the vicnity

Amenities near Faber House 

Faber House is near to several eateries located at nearby buildings such as Hai Di Lao and Starbucks Coffee at 313@Somerset. 

Faber House is within close proximity to Cold Storage Supermarket, Midpoint Orchard for an array of amenities such as grocery and retail shopping, major bank services and more. 

Faber House is accessible via Emerald Link, Cairnhill Road and Orchard Road.


  • GOLDBELL TOWERS - OFFICE FOR RENT Goldbell Towers fitted office for rent. Located right next to Newton MRT Station, fully sheltered from sun & rain! Not to be missed, rare size that is available in the current ...
    Posted Jun 9, 2016, 8:00 AM by Benjamin Ng
Showing posts 1 - 1 of 4. View more »


History Of Faber House

Faber House would be recollected by some as the site of two blasts in the mid-1980s. The first - and biggest - happened on 17 March 1985 and the second on 21 December 1986, both Sundays. Nobody was harmed.

First Explosion

The blast happened at around 11:30 pm. At the time, the main individuals in the building were the security guards. The police cordoned off the territory less than an hour later and bomb disposal specialists from the army had arrived at the scene by 1 am. Nobody was harmed in the incident.

It was reported that less than 500g of plastic explosives had been planted in a 25cm-broad drain running parallel to the sidewall of the building. As a result of this divider and the two-story working beside Faber House, the effect of the impact was coordinated upwards and not simply sideways. The effect left an opening in the channel and knocked off the rooftop tiles of the nearby building. At Faber House, the glass entryways on the ground floor and the glass windows from the first to 6th stories were broken, and a substantial marble tile was brushed off the divider. The harm was not viewed as genuine and the damage expenses was estimated to be under S$50,000.

On the day after the explosion, the police received a call informing them that a bomb had been set to go off at Faber House at 9:45 am and they quickly evacuated the building just after 9:20 am. This was found to be a hoax and all the workers were allowed to return to the building later that morning.

There were two diplomatic missions located in the building then, the Israeli embassy and the Canadian high commission. Although both reported that they did not receive any bomb threats, there was suspicion that the bomb was targeted at the Israeli embassy. No one claimed responsibility and the case remained unsolved until 1991, when a Palestinian guerilla named Fuad Hassin al-Shara confessed after he was captured by the Israeli army that he was behind the explosion and that his target was the Israeli embassy.

Second Explosion

This explosion occurred at 8:40 pm. By 9 pm, the police had cordoned off the area. As in the previous incident, no one was injured. The blast was determined to have originated from a drain near a power substation at the back of Faber House, but investigators did not find evidence of any explosive substance. The drain was left with a hole measuring 30cm wide and 30cm deep. However there was no damage to Faber House. Instead, the nearby Singapore Chinese Girls' School bore the brunt of the impact. The school was located at Emerald Hill, on a slope about 15m behind Faber House. The explosion caused fresh cracks to appear in the school's walls and shattered some of its glass window panes.

The Israeli embassy and the Canadian high commission were still tenants in Faber House at the time. The explosion was suspected to be the work of terrorists who were targeting the Israeli embassy, though those responsible have not yet been caught or identified. Still, the incident has been cited by government officials and in the media as an early example of terrorism in Singapore along with the 1985 explosion.

1987 Bomb Hoax

In November 1987, the police received a call about a bomb in Faber House. Acting on the information, the police sealed off the building while bomb disposal experts scoured the premises. No bomb was found and people were allowed into the building around 12 pm.


The 1985 bomb attack and possibly the 1986 explosion at Faber House were some of Singapore's earliest direct encounters with international terrorism and highlighted Singapore's vulnerability to such attacks even before the high-profile hijacking of Singapore Airlines flight SQ 117 in 1991. Given Singapore's openness and the significant foreign presence here, the possibility of terrorist acts occurring in the country remains a constant threat to national security.